Recently Leeds City Council (LCC) announced that it had managed to secure Lottery funding from the Sport England Improvement Fund amounting to £500K, which will go towards a £1M refurbishment of the Aireborough Leisure Centre. The funding is to be used to revamp the swimming pool area, changing rooms and reception. In addition, elements to the outside of the building will undergo alterations and altogether these can be summarised as follows:
- The provision of improved changing facilities.
- Retiling of the pool area.
- The upgrading of the reception.
- Subletting of the cafe area.
- External cladding renewal.
- The creation of accessible parking.
- The creation of a community hub.
This very welcome refurbishment is detailed on the active.leeds.gov.uk website and individuals are invited to provide feedback on the proposals, and the website can be accessed here. Furthermore, the LCC published a planning application consultation (16/06661/LA) and its Design and Access Statement provides detailed information and drawings on the proposals. The Design and Access Statement can be accessed here.