A reminder that comments on the proposal for the Netherfield Road Multi-Storey Car Park need to be done by Tuesday 30th November. The response form is here.
The proposals have come from the West Yorkshire Combined Authority and Leeds City Council, with the aim of supporting economic growth by increasing future rail travel and alleviating congestion in the Leeds City Region . It comes under the objective of Enhanced rail station gateways with increased car parking capacity for park and ride.
There are also questions on whether the car park extension would aid the local Guiseley economy and/or help with parking for local amenities. There is an issue with parking and the Football Club on match days.
The design for any extended parking facilities needs very careful consideration
- Height in relation to residential properties and views
- Eliminating anti-social behaviour
- Easier access to the railway station
- How it can adopt ‘green’ principles in the design eg green walls, rainwater catchment and use
- Surrounding landscape eg more street trees
- Making the clock tower an attractive feature of the area
- Respect for Guiseley as a semi-rural area in the South Pennines National Park
- Modern ideas on ‘building beautifully’, not a brutalist design.
The details say that the car park would be free of charges for 5 years, but reviewed after that. There needs to be a longer commitment to free parking to achieve aims in our view.